Yes, we’re hiring!
Do you believe you’re the one to help guide the organization in the next phase of its evolution? Or, do you know someone who is passionate about science and storytelling in Canada who would be a perfect fit?
Either way, we at Science Writers and Communicators of Canada are hiring a new General Manager, starting in January 2019. Please take a look at the attached posting, share with your networks and get in touch with any questions.
GENERAL MANAGER PDF
Summary of the position:
Science communication and science journalism are changing. As the Canadian professional membership organization for science journalists and communicators, we are also changing. We need someone who can help guide us into the future.
Science Writers & Communicators of Canada (SWCC) is hiring someone who is passionate about the world of science communication, is an idea builder, a knowledge-steward and thrives on change.
This position will keep you connected to Canada's science community and expose you to an endless array of ideas. You will have time for your other passion projects as this is not a full-time position. We encourage and expect flexibility. If this excites you, we hope to hear from you.
Position Title: General Manager
Contract Details: Services are required from January to June, with a strong potential of an extension upon successful completion of the initial contract.
Start Date: January 15, 2019
Posting Closing Date: November 12, 2018
Hours:This is a contract position with flexible hours. Hours increase leading up to the annual conference, and decrease during the summer. You will be working with people across the country and office hours need to accommodate their time zones.
Location:Canada. For the most part, this is a job that works wherever you are. You will be able to work on your own computer from your own preferred location.
Who we are
Science Writers & Communicators of Canada (SWCC) is a national alliance of professional science communicators in all media. Founded in 1971, the organization links science and technology communicators from coast to coast to coast. The mission of the SWCC is to cultivate excellence in science communication and our goal is to increase public awareness and accessibility of science in Canadian society.
The new General Manager of the Science Writers and Communicators of Canada is:
● Engaged in the science community. You understand Canada’s science ecosystem and its stakeholders.
● Effective in building partnerships and securing funding. You have sponsorship and fundraising experience, and will be able to represent the organization confidently as you seek, and find, new sources of support in a changing communications landscape. You will work with the president and board in approaching potential partners, and will at times be the organization’s sole representative.
● Organized and productive. You are a guru in multitasking and setting priorities. You will be working with a very busy group of volunteers. You are skilled at giving gentle yet firm reminders of tasks to be completed and doing regular check-ins. Think: General Manager Extraordinaire.
● Detail-oriented. You will be responsible for coordinating programs on behalf of the organization, renewing memberships, managing the website, scheduling social media posts, administering a book awards program, setting up event registration, managing member services, taking and sharing board meeting minutes, as well as generally keeping projects and people on track.
● An expert in customer service. As the primary point of contact to the organization, internally and externally, you will work effectively with a wide variety of members and stakeholders.
● Skilled at event management. The annual conference is currently the main sponsorship opportunity and a chance for members to connect in person. Each year, a new team of SWCC members organize the conference in a different location across the country. To ensure its success, you will be the consistent voice and knowledge-holder during the planning phases of this critical event.
● Tech and social media savvy. The website and social media are primary points of contact for our members and others. You will be responsible for updating web content, as well troubleshooting on the site’s back-end. You will also facilitate an overhaul of the site's front end. You will use your social media expertise to promote the SWCC, raise its profile, and build new relationships.
● Experienced in managing financial resources, including proper record-keeping and adhering to principles of accountability and transparency.
Education and experience required
● University degree or college diploma in a relevant discipline (e.g., management, science, communications, marketing, journalism) or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
● A minimum of five years of experience in business or communications, preferably with a focus on executing strategies and coordinating operational requirements.
● Experience working in a non-profit or association environment.
● Experience working with a board of directors or senior officials.
● Experience working with an organization in transition.
● Knowledge of social media tools, such as Hootsuite.
All qualified applicants are welcomed to submit a current résumé and any relevant portfolio materials to firstname.lastname@example.org. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.