Annual General Meeting 2019
Present: Suraaj Aulakh, Nikki Berreth, Jill Bouchard, Carolyn Brown, Aniruddho Chokroborty-Hoque, Gillian Clinton, Burke Cullen, Michael Dwyer, Kate Einarson, Lesley Evans Ogden Elizabeth Howell, Kasia Kaluzny, Douglas Keddy, Debbie Lockrey-Wessel, Kevin S. Mogk, Brian Owens, Michael Robin, Ivan Semeniuk, Paul Sokoloff, Jay Whetter, Niki Wilson, Richard Zurawski
Meeting open: 4:43 pm
Ethics (Ivan Semeniuk)
- Aim is to adopt a set of values, best practices and ethics.
- Powerpoint slides on the history of SWCC/CSWA and the background for the need of a set of values for our organization.
- Presentation of the proposed Statement of Values (May 25, 2019 Draft) and article in our constitution, that includes the instatement of a permanent Ethics Committee.
- Question period:
- Clarification on the description for accuracy? Agreement that we intend to “get the science right” & the description may need to be amended to convey this intention.
- Request for amendment to the preamble to include the term “support”.
- Question on the value of transparency and an example.
Motion: To adopt the proposed Statement of Values (personal and organizational). Moved by Michael Robin. Seconded by Michael Dwyer. Passed.
Ethics Committee proposal overview (Ivan Semeniuk)
- Question period:
- Question on the formality of the ethics committee’s advisory capacity. Are we liable?
- Request for additional information on the committee and the instatement timeline.
Motion: To approve the minutes - moved by Michael Dwyer, Brian Owens seconded. Passed.
WCSJ 2021 (Douglas Keddy)
- ACS partnership to host in Montreal. We are up against Columbia. This is a multi-million-dollar conference and if executed successfully could expose the excellence of our work to an international audience. Hand off the logistics, planning and operating the conference to a planner. We will hear back in two weeks after presenting in Switzerland.
- Our participation will include program track planning and less swag bag packing.
- Question period
- Getting in contact with previous international conference planners.
- Does this mean that the SWCC annual conference will not occur in 2021.
2019 Conference (Douglas)
- It was a big success. Thank you to Jay Whetter for planning this beautiful conference!
Organizational Updates (Douglas Keddy)
- Nikki Berreth is the new General Manager - brought in after Janice Benthin’s retirement.
- Record-keeping – working to professionalize the backend of this organization and clarifying what we do, how we do it, who we support and how we support them.
- Support for SWCC members within communities across Canada. We are looking for champions that can lead those smaller scale events in cities.
- Newsletter – resurrected on a quarterly basis.
Board Transitions (Douglas Keddy)
- Thank you to the following Board Members for their dedication.
- Jennifer Gagne - Treasurer
- Ivan Semeniuk – Ethics Committee
- Evan Everything – People’s choices awards
- Michael Dwyer – Previous Vice President
- All Volunteers for their passion and contributions to the SWCC
- Incoming Board Members
- Aniruddho Chokroborty-Hoque, Treasurer
- Rhonda Moore, Director
- Michael Robin, Director
- Elizabeth Howell, President
- Richard Zurawski, Vice President
Financials approval (Douglas)
- Question on the $2000 outstanding – It is a current Paypal problem that we hope to have resolved asap. Included the amount in the interest of full transparency.
- No other questions or proposals.
Motion: To approve financial records: Richard Zurawski moves, Michael Robin seconds. Passed.
2019-2021 (Elizabeth Howell)
- Quick introduction.
- Plans to bring in more funding via webinars and to activate our website with fresh content.
- Next year’s election process: need people to assist with the 2020 board election.
Motion: To adjourn the 2019 AGM Brian Owens to move. Burke Cullen to second. Passed.
Meeting adjourned: 5:43 pm.
Statement of Values
Ethics Committee Proposal
AGM 2018 Approved Minutes
2018/19 Approved Financials
PDF - AGM 2019 Minutes